Most people consider it a virtue and even an obligation to fulfill different tasks and chores around the house, even if they aren’t made for it. As long as it’s “their place”, they find it mandatory to take care of it and try to repair different things themselves before turning to specialists. However, this approach only works for stuff that is easy to DIY, but not for more complicated repairs that most certainly need a local handyman’s experience. In fact, trying to fix something that you aren’t prepared for, both in terms of know-how and tools, can lead to disastrous results, such as further damage, destroying a part of your house, and wasting a lot of money.
This is why we decided to present you with the definitive list of chores you should NOT DIY, but let a local handyman do it instead. Our friends at Home & Business Services – HBSOnTime.com, a family-owned company operating in the Greater Fredericksburg Area, VA since 2013 helped us compile this list. They offer professional cleaning services (commercial, residential, air ducts, windows, carpets), handyman services, home maintenance, and turnkey services. They serve a 50-mile radius around the big city, covering the counties of Culpeper, Spotsylvania, Louisa, Orange, King George, Caroline, and Stafford. They are locally recommended for their cheap, quick, and highly professional services.
Without further ado, here is the list of projects you should NOT DIY (but let a local handyman do it for you):
– air duct cleaning (only a local handyman will use a high-efficiency particle air vacuuming equipment, with multi filtration levels, to make sure that the particles are encapsulated without cycling them back into the house);
– dryer vent cleaning (clogged dryer vents are a serious fire hazard and this task should be fulfilled only by professionals to make sure it’s done perfectly);
– carpet cleaning (only experts will use hot water extraction or steam cleaning, the most effective cleaning process, that is tough on dirt and gentle on the carpet);
– junk removal (only a professional company has the necessary resources to pick up a very large amount of garbage, rubble, construction materials, and debris);
– painting and staining (if done by a novice, it will show since the final result won’t be uniform, but full of stains and irregularities);
– kitchen cabinets painting (for the same reason as mentioned above);
– carpentry / molding installation;
– ceiling repair;
– drywall repairs and installation;
– ceramic tile installation and repair;
– decks repairs;
– fence fixing;
– dryer vent installation;
– flooring installation and repair;
– insulation installation;
– shed repairs;
– window installation and screen repairs.
For the last 11 projects mentioned above, the reasons are pretty much the same: they are complex activities, with a lot of steps involved, that most certainly require professional tools and a professional approach. For any of these, you should contact an experienced company such as HBSOnTime.com, that will be more than happy to send a local handyman or more, and help you fix your problem in no time, with low costs.